too many true poignant lines in this article. a good read. Thought Catalog (the website) is really not bad most of the time!
Read here:
I Will Always Care Too Much
The reason why so many of us hide behind irony, sarcasm and cool disinterest-
"Even in personal relationships, feeling too heavily invested while simultaneously understanding that the other person couldn’t be more detached is one of the most profound feelings of embarrassment we can experience.... To be shamed for your sincerity is to be reminded that you are dependent on something which is not dependent on you — that you are, once again, vulnerable."
Which is really quite true. Everyone is afraid of getting hurt huh. Or being vulnerable first.
"I find myself always on the verge of asking how people are and insisting, when they respond with the inevitable “fine,” “No, really, how are you?” Because I want to know. I want to find out, and I want to feel that the connections I form with people are not superficial."
The best part:
"There are few things I want more in life than to like and be liked by people — for the right reasons. I don’t want to feign enjoyment of someone’s company because they are socially important, or have someone placate me because I have enough mutual friends to make it necessary. I want to feel as though the love we express to each other (in all its forms, romantic and otherwise) is entirely without irony or pretense. The conversations we engage in seem to me not worth the effort unless they are based in genuine affection and curiosity"
sigh too bad there really seems to be too much fakeness and politicking even in school. thank gdness for the gems of people you find here and there :')